General Position Definition
This role will provide subject matter expert support in relation to the application of telecoms regulations to collaboration and connectivity related IT projects in 2019 and 2020 implementing the Shell IT strategy, which involve Shell taking on the primary responsibility for regulatory compliance and service continuity for business-critical services, such as the proposed Skype infrastructure insourcing.
Reporting into the Shell IT project team, the successful candidate will provide subject matter expert support directly to the Legal IT team to enable the Legal IT team to effectively advise the Shell IT organisation in relation to the collaboration and connectivity related IT projects.
Position description - Purpose
This role requires a professional, fast-learning and enthusiastic individual with experience of leading the regulatory compliance support for the implementation and on-going provision of global collaboration and connectivity solutions, including telecoms regulations compliance requirements.
This role will support Shell’s Legal IT team to deliver timely, risk based and practical legal advice to the IT project team and supporting organisation.
Whilst the successful candidate is expected to support the Legal IT team on a wide range of regulatory issues, the role will focus on: (1) development of a robust and pragmatic compliance framework which reflects Shell’s compliance risk appetite; and (2) the identification of regulations applicable to collaboration and connectivity related product functions and systems (including Voice Over IP, internet breakout, data export restrictions and encrypted products).
Position description - Accountabilities
The accountabilities for this role includes:
1 Supporting the Legal IT team to design a pragmatic and defensible global and local regulatory compliance framework for collaboration and connectivity related products and systems within the scope of the projects, which reflects Shell’s compliance risk appetite;
2 Assisting the Legal IT team to advise on: (1) alignment of IT Control objectives and controls with the compliance framework developed; (2) the effectiveness of IT control objectives and IT controls to meet requirements of local regulations applicable to collaboration and connectivity related product functions and systems within the scope of the projects.
3 Reviewing the potential implications of legislative developmentin IT regulations (in particular telecoms regulation around the world) for the compliance framework developed and supporting the Legal IT team to proactively advise the IT function on the effect of future regulatory changes and how best to meet them.
4 Acting as telecoms regulations subject matter expert for Legal IT team members who are supporting local and central C&P Operational teams in relation to telecoms regulatory issues.
5 Developing and delivering a periodic training programme to relevant stakeholder teams on common telecoms regulatory challenges, how to avoid repeating past incidents and key requirements for procurement of collaboration and connectivity related products and systems.
Ability to work as part of a team, locally and remotely, and with stakeholders with diverse cultural backgrounds and in different time zones.
Ability to work with technical subject matter experts to analyse complex technical proposals, proactively identify potential regulatory compliance issues and develop pragmatic compliance solutions.
Experience and Qualifications required
* Fluent and proficient English speaking and writing skills.
* Significant regulatory experience, with recent experience in a senior role as subject matter expert in relation to:
* Telecoms regulations applicable to Voice Over IP, internet breakout, data export restrictions and encrypted products
* Managing risks in IT regulatory compliance
* Regulatory risks and issues arising in procurement of IT
* Regulatory aspects of implementation of new digital technologies and processes in an organization.
* Knowledge of Generally Embargoed Countries and countries which have been imposed with sanctions from countries/entities such as the US, EU and UN.
General knowledge of technical aspects of Voice Over IP, connectivity services (public and private network transport) and encryption.
Key Competences required
* Demonstrated ability to identify regulatory risks and alternative strategies in new technologies (including collaboration and connectivity solutions), in multiple jurisdictions.
* Ability to identify regulatory compliance risk, interpret and integrate risk mitigation into Shell preferred contract terms and templates or other solutions, and explain them to business partners.
* Ability to ensure that documents accurately reflect the commercial decisions, at all times consistent with legal obligations and Shell’s requirements.
* Demonstrated track record of delivering commercially pragmatic and business value adding regulatory support.
* Ability to prioritize and manage issues independently.
* Experience in working in teams using Agile methodologies would be an advantage.
* Working knowledge of technical aspects of Voice Over IP, connectivity services and encryption will be an advantage.
* Legal training will be an advantage.
Michael Bailey International is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.